Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using "PRE" WB setting on D90

comicalalien

AU
86 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
comicalalien Registered since 05th Sep 2009
Sun 10-Jan-10 11:34 AM

I watched the Magic Lantern's video on the D90 settings. It talks about the default and programmed White Balance as well as the "PRE" setting.

The narrator in the video uses a white card to adjust the D90's WB at a particular location in PRESET mode, which apparently will adjust the WB for the ambient light at the time.

I composed a shot of a scene using "Auto" WB to see what it looked like. Then I tried the "PRE" setting and took a shot of that same scene without the white card, and the display showed "Good".

I then did another shot using the adjusted WB and the there was a noticeably improved difference in picture color and contrast.

Question 1: Is it necessary to always use a white card to adjust White Balance in the "PRE" mode on the D90?

Question 2: Why can't you always just run the "PRE" White Balance calibration off of whatever you are trying to take an image of since all you are doing is photographing the light reflected from that particular object/subject anyway?

I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE & ANSWERS TO THIS INTRICATE WHITE BALANCE SETTING.

Cheers,
comicalalien

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using "PRE" WB setting on D90

G