Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?

ieaarva

Oslo, NO
37 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003
Tue 03-Feb-04 08:23 AM

When reading the comparison of the D100 vs. the D70 on e.g. dpreview.com I see that they mention that the D70 has a x.75 magnification and an 18mm eyepoint whereas the D100 has 24mm eyepoint. What does this mean exactly?

When looking in the viewfinder of the D100 I see a kind'of small picture far away (well, not really - but you get my drift). Is what I see through the D70's viewfinder going to look even smaller and further away?

I remeber once I compared one of my old Nikon SLRs to my friend's Olympus SLR and noticed how the picture in the viewfinder looked much closer and larger on his camera. Needless to say I liked the Olympus viewfinder a lot!

I am seriously interrested in buying the D70, but if the viewfinder is even worse (smaller looking) than the D100's, I may want to reconsider...

Please advice

Iver Erling Årva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?

G