Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Setting up in Digital with a D70

Hawkeye34

La Herradura, ES
29 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Hawkeye34 Registered since 12th Jul 2003
Mon 16-Feb-04 06:08 PM

Having used film for over 50 years, I am seriously thinking about buying into digital with the new D70. Obviously I am doing my homework and researching the entire system, but even knowing the pros and cons of digishooting, the transition scares me financially !
First, the camera, then the DX lenses, then a new flashgun for iTTL. As if that all wasn't enough, you don't even get a starter card with the camera to begin shooting right away - you have to invest some immediate cash in a CompactFlash card of some magnitude, and possibly even a second one for when you fill up the first. This leads to a field storage system, plus spare batteries, cables, laptop and (eventually) a solar charger and a packmule.
When you get home, you have hours of work ahead of you in the office on the computer, plus the cost of home printing which has now been found to be around five times the cost of getting your printing done professionally (I forget where I recently read this - I think it was in the Sunday Times in UK).
Altogether it is a daunting financial load to carry, for the sheer convenience of seeing your pictures at once on the LCD screen. For the pros, it is a necessity, but I am now retired from all that - it was bad enough having to get a second mortgage to fund the Hasselblads - SO.... how does everyone cope with all the above ? Does this account for the glut of secondhand film cameras on the market now ?
I think I shall stick to film, despite the siren song of the D70.

Hawkeye34

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Setting up in Digital with a D70