Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Work around for DX flashes with D70?

lasvegas_art

Vancouver, CA
83 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lasvegas_art Registered since 10th May 2002
Sat 28-Feb-04 10:58 PM

If a non i-TTL flash such as the SB-28DX TTL flash was mounted on a wireless TTL slave trigger such as the Ikelite LiteLink (or Nikon SU-4) and triggered by the on-camera i-TTL D70 flash, would the resulting flash exposure be correct? Presumably, the flash expsoure is being controlled by the i-TTL meter in the D70, so as soon as the exposure is interpreted as “correct” by this meter then the D70 shuts off it’s built in on-camera flash and then the LiteLink would immediately extinguish it’s TTL mounted flash.

The reason for asking is that I own the above DX flash unit, having upgraded from an SB-26 in preparation of the day I “go digital” only to find Nikon has now changed the digital goal posts by introducing the i-TTL line of digital flashes with the D2H. On one hand I guess I applaude Nikon on improving its flash system to get the best out of digital photography, but I am disapointed that Nikon elected to design the upcoming D70 so that all owners of their previous digital DX line of flashes are screwed (no TTL) if they want to use their existing digital flash units with the D70 (both the DX and the newer i-TTL line of flashes works in TTL mode on the D2H (see the D2H specs), so technically Nikon has already solved any probems of making their latest digital camera bodies accept their two lines of digital flashes. I don’t think Nikon was too smart with this aspect of the D70 – if the D70 had both i-TTL and DX flash capability then a lot of Nikon “fence sitters” would be jumping off to try the digital “entry-level” option that the D70 represents. Instead, as a lot of posts are noting, the actual cost of the “sub-$1,000” D70 will be inflated by the requirement to purchase (for ~$300) one of the newer i-TTL flash units.

But I am wondering if I can still use the SB-28DX (or any other Nikon TTL flash) off camera when combined with either of the above wireless TTL slaves when controlled/triggered by the D70 built in on-camera flash (I know this set up works with my F100 when the camera mounted TTL flash triggers the flash on my LiteLink slave).

Regards
Art

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Work around for DX flashes with D70?

G