Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D70 or DualScan III?

gavinjung

Vancouver, CA
249 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002
Tue 09-Dec-03 11:49 PM

i was planning on buying a DS3 in the near future to replace my primefilm 1800U, but am now thinking of holding off because of the D70 announcement. sure, the D70 costs about 3X more, but it comes with so much convenience it's hard to ignore. it basically comes down to workflow vs. cost, but here's a breakdown:

upside:

the D70 would allow me to take photos at will and for fun without worrying about film cost or film types. i could afford to spray and pray, and i'd be able to experiment and learn much faster. (the rechargeable battery (without needing a grip) would also be nice.) i'd also be able to see the histograms and thumbnails right away so i could be sure about my exposures and composition. i'd be able to upload and work on them right away and have printed results very quickly. all this convenience is VERY attractive and 6MP ought to be enough to get A4 prints.

downside:

i lose the full frame. this will probably confuse me a bit until i get used to the math, but more importantly, this'll necessitate me buying the associated DX lens to get my wide angles back. not to mention this will throw my lens set out of wack. (i don't wanna have to carry another lens, and i like my 50 a 50!) furthermore, every photo i shoot will be digital (and somewhat fragile) and i won't be able to rescan them at a later date to improve them or otherwise. also, i'm rather comfortable with my N80's feature set and i'm concerned that the D70 might be missing a few things in comparison. i'd be trading down just to get 6MP 2/3 digital capability and be paying a small fortune to get it.

all this considered, i'm really unsure which way to lean. am i missing any details? anyone with other insights? i really hate the workflow of filmscanning at times, especially when i'd come back from a trip with dozens of rolls of film to pay for, wait for and work on. and while i figure the DS3 would be an improvement over my primefilm scanner in that process, i'm not certain it'll help that much. and then there's the issue of grain. digital these days is so much nicer.

thots?

GJ
can't someone just make a fullframed D80 with 6-8MP?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D70 or DualScan III?