Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D200 almost as envisioned one year ago...

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sun 25-Dec-05 02:55 PM

I wrote the following one year ago and posted it six months ago before the server failure. Many of the specs. came out true, while others similarly to how I had predicted. Merry Christmas!

The Nikon D200: raising the digital bar for the serious semi-pro photographer

The Nikon D200 needs to be a big upgrade from the D100 in photographic quality and build. With the rumor that Canon is working on a 12MP, 6.5 fps., 1.3x crop sensor digital equivalent to the EOS-3, the bar is set even higher than it was 6 six months ago. This new Canon camera will apparently slot between the EOS-1DII and EOS-20D, and is projected (again via rumors) to cost between $2500 and $3000 US. With that and possibly an EOS-30D likely in the next year or so, the D200 should compete just as the D70 competed with the higher-end the Canon EOS-10D, but with a lower price. Here is my list of D100 additions that I'd like to see in the next generation. The D200 would be nearly perfect and a true digital F100:

D200 new features:

· 12MP 1.5x DX CMOS or CCD*
· ISO 100 to 1600 settable in 1/3 EV steps plus Hi-1 at ISO 3200
· Magnesium outer body and metal inner chassis
· Metering selector switch on prism like D2-series
· True 5.0 fps. Capture in full-frame DX mode with 20-frame NEF buffer and fast buffer dumping
· A more robust AF motor (this comes before an upgrade to the new multi-CAM 1400 sensor)
· A larger, higher contrast (for ease of manual focus) viewfinder with at least true 96% coverage (finder magnification equal to D2-series)
· 30 sec. To 1/16000 sec. Top shutter speed *1/500 sec. top sync. speed (like D70) (Might be tough to get with CMOS; if impossible, then implement the standard iTTL FP sync. mode.)
· AIS lens compatibility (feel free to disagree with me on this one; to each his own)
· Custom function to use lens aperture ring
· AF-on button
· Func. button
· Multi-Cam 1400 11-point AF module
· A Canon-like meter electronic analog display that shows flash and ambient exposure data superimposed in the finder along the right side.
· Less noise at high ISO speeds (preferably with the 12MP, but if not, then incorporate an 8MP super-low noise mode. i.e even lower levels than Canon EOS 20D)
· Interchangeable finder screens, including split-image/microprism variant (On-demand grid lines retained with all screens)
· PC flash sync terminal
· Built-in flash with GN of 50 in feet at ISO 100; ability to set manually and use in commander mode with new commander infrared filter
· 10-pin remote terminal
· Compatibility with WT-2A and GPS interface
· Battery strength indication like D2 series
· 3-color histogram display
· 3D color matrix metering II
· Provision for iTTL speedlight compatibility including wireless, high-speed sync, and Distance-priority manual flash
· 2.0x crop mode option
· Special B&W mode that allows using white balance system to mimic effect of color filters for contrast control

Nikon user since 2000

G