Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

No built in infrared receiver =(

J3R

Malmö, SE
135 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
J3R Basic Member
Tue 01-Nov-05 01:44 PM

I would like to start off by saying that the d200 looks amazing! However, I wonder why the D200 does not have a built in infrared receiver like the D70. I use my 20 dollar ML-L3 remote for 90% of my shots with the D70. This is of course to prevent camera shake from pressing the shutter which is a lot more convenient than using the timer, especially when bracketing. It seems that if I want simple remote capabilities with the D200 I will have to invest an additional 300 dollars for the ML-3 remote!

The only advantage I see that the 300 dollar ML-3 has over the ML-L3 is that one can use triggering by “breaking the beam,” though I doubt the reaction time is as good as third party laser optical sensors and infrared beam devices that are available for capturing very fast moving objects, and cost even less. Another disadvantage I feel is the need to have the clunky ML-3 attached, with its cable in the way, just to trigger with remote, which in my case means that it will always be attached and in the way.

In other words I am not knocking the 10-PIN connector, which is more robust in that one has the option to use more expensive and feature rich remotes, but it seems it would have not been difficult or costly to have a built in infrared receiver as well, so that one has the option of spending 20 dollars or 300 dollars on their remote, depending on what their specific needs are.

Of course, one cannot have everything. Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

cheers,

Jer

http://www.j3r.com/photo/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: No built in infrared receiver =(