Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Nicholas

251 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nicholas Registered since 26th May 2002
Wed 21-Dec-05 07:07 PM

Finally had a chance to do a test run with the D200, and all I can say once again is that I am so glad I waited for this incredible machine.
I charged up the battery and left it sit in the charger for about 2 additional hours; I'll keep you posted in the next day or two. My understanding is that the LI batteries will perform better by letting it discharge completely a number of times.

The things that jumped right out at me after coming from a D1X were:
• Unbelievable shutter speed
• Awesome viewfinder
• Sharp, sharp, sharp, and some more sharp with 28-70AF-S. Tomorrow it will be the 70-200 (can't wait)
• I read some initial reviews and press reports about how great it renders highlights and shadows, especially compared to the D1-series. I took about 50 shots around the house, we're surrounded by a sheet of ice/snow and today there's not a cloud in the sky. Opened in Capture 4.4 and my jaw dropped to the floor. There were literally no blown highlights and I could not believe the detail in the shadows. These areas would have been black with my D1X. Shooting with the right settings will almost make the histogram unnecessary.
• If you're coming from any other Nikon except the D2X, you are going to need a power-packed computer to handle these huge raw files. If you've got a slow machine, you'll probably spend more time at the computer than you will shooting.
• The interface is a piece-of- cake. And the LCD is perfect!
• I had to pull out an old tripod. Acratech is going to need some time to configure a QR-plate for the D200, and I'm sure this applies to other ballheads.

I am terribly busy at work right now, but I plan on laying some samples up on my website this evening or tomorrow.
Nikon is going to sell a quadruple-gazillion D200's, literally as fast as they can make them. And the 30D better be ultra-awesome for Canon to even come close to this beauty.

*BergerBros. has 2 MB-D200 Battery Packs, but I don't know what they're charging for them..

Nicholas
http://www.copperhillimages.com

G