Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Moire in D200 and D2x

yangchen

Singapore, SG
93 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
yangchen Registered since 23rd Oct 2006
Wed 02-May-07 01:11 PM

Hello,

I was examining the full-resolution test chart photos of the D200 and D2x from DPreview. When I zoomed in 100% to some very closely spaced diverging lines of the test chart, the D2x had very obvious moire while the D200 had hardly any moire. I think that this may be because the pixel spacing in the D2x happens to interfere with the line spacing. But if this is the case, how do you explain why the D200 doesn't exhibit much moire anywhere along the gradually diverging lines?

Many posts and reviews on the internet say that the D2x has superior image quality. In certain respects I agree, but the D2x seems not to be up to the D200 when it comes to managing moire. Indeed, even the test charts from the Canon 5D and 1Ds MkII have more moire than the D200.

Although all the cameras I mentioned have higher resolution than the D200, doesn't the moire offset the resolution advantage? I am thinking that I would rather have slightly lower-resolution, smoother images than to have moire rearing its ugly head in certain spots when I blow up certain images.

Besides moire, the D2x has 0.5 stops less dynamic range and visibly higher noise than the D200, according to tests done by DPreview. Can someone explain tangibly how the image quality of the D2x is better than the D200? For example, Thom Hogan says that the D2x images are 'less digital' and have 'higher acuity' but I am not sure how they can appear less digital if there is more moire, for instance.

Is it color that makes the difference?

Yangchen

Yangchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/linyangchen/

G