Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

High Altitude Mountaineering and D200

Yeti69

11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Yeti69 Registered since 20th Dec 2005
Tue 20-Dec-05 02:05 PM

Hi,

I've read some related posts (thanks Trekman and others).

I'm going to Aconcagua (22,834ft) on January 19th and hope to bring up a D200 (if I can find one in time!). I'll be happy to share my experience when I get back.

Like Trekman, I am converting from an F100. I have carried an F5 to 20,000ft summits. Film has always been the best for mountaineering, but the post-processing advantages and convenience of digital can't be beat. It is time for me to change over!

Any advice on:

1. Storing 2.5 weeks of RAW shots? Should I just buy a bunch of Extreme III's and edit off the viewfinder? I need to carry everything up to the high camp (~20,000 ft). The hard drive units such as the Epson P-2000 and PhotoChute seem to have a limited charge. I plan to bring several batteries and solar charge off a Brunton Solar Roll.

2. I know batteries that are WARM will shoot for longer, but will they lose their charge if they are stored in the cold and not used?

3. Does the EN-EL3e have a 12V car charger (this is the most efficient (and only?) way to solar charge batteries from what I heard)?

Thanks guys!
Yeti

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: High Altitude Mountaineering and D200

G