Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help! Please keep me away from the dark side...(The C

yellafella321

US
55 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
yellafella321 Registered since 14th Dec 2006
Wed 14-Feb-07 09:01 PM

Hi everyone.

So, I have a Nikon d70, and I was 100% sure that I was going to buy a d200 in May or June, depending on how well i'm able to save money. However, the thought of switching to canon has always been in my mind. I shoot about 75% landscapes or nature, and for long exposures, almost always carry a tripod with me. The other 25% of the time, I shoot events at church or children at my tutoring program, which calls for higher iso's. A lot of the time i have to shoot at iso 1600, and even though noise ninja helps a lot, its still just not the same as iso 1600 on a Canon. I know that the d200 has much better iso performance than the d70, but still the lure of going over to canon has gotten even stronger since the prospect of the 40d is coming, and it is rumored to have some anti-dust mechanism.

I went to ritz over the weekend to hold the 30d and the d200 side by side, and I prefer the d200 by far. To me, the controls on the canon are so awkward. If the command dial on the top was placed in front of the camera like on a nikon, I don't think it would have been as big of a deal for me, but since its on the top I absolutely hate it. Ergonomics are about the same, but my main gripes with the canon are: command dial on the top, shared EV/metering button, shared iso/drive button, and the other shared button on the top. I don't really care for auto iso, as I've never had it, and don't imagine myself using it, and right now my lens selection isn't so huge that its a limiting factor either. I did just land myself an 18-200 vr which I love, but my 50mm f1.8 and tamron 17-50 are easily replaceable in my heart.

Are there any other factors that I should consider? I really love the controls, the menu, and everything else about nikon, but the iso performance on the canon's is really getting to me, and if it does have an anti-dust feature, that will definitely play a big factor for me as well, as I've definitely had my share of experiences with dust on my sensor.

Thanks for your help

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help! Please keep me away from the dark side...(Th

G