Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
StratCat

Chicago, US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
StratCat Registered since 15th Oct 2006
Fri 02-Feb-07 01:58 AM

Just checked, and found the operating temp spec for my new D200 is 0 *C on the low end, the same as for the RiData CF's I just picked up. I got some buddies coming into town who also shoot Nikons, and we're going to try to get some cityscapes, hopefully nite shots, if I can get these guys to brave the nightime cold.

If you happen to be familiar with Chicago, we're going to try to shoot the lakefront skyline, looking inward from the Planetarium peninsula.

Temps are forcasted as a high of -12 *C, and a low of -20 *C, for the day of the shoot (Saturday). I'll be using the equipment in my sig & profile. Two of my visitors are bringing the tripods.

I'm not worried at all about the equipment functioning fine, but was wondering if I might best allow the camera body & lenses to thoroughly chill before shooting, vs bringing them straight out of the warm car.

I'll be placing the camera in a large ziplock bag after shooting, and have some spare batts keeping warm in my inner pockets. I've gleaned the info I think I need by using the forum search function. If we do night shots, the exposures may, of course, be fairly long.

So does anyone have any opinions as whether to allow the system to thoroughly chill, maybe in the car trunk while driving, or just set-up and shoot immediately upon bringing it out from the warm passenger's compartment?

I've got a feeling once these guys actually experience -20 *C winter temps they're going to be in a hurry!

Any other cold weather related comments are welcome.

Thanks.

<edit>

Heh...Lash just posted a very similar question concurrently with my post...I'll just let this post stand, as it's asking a specific question concerning pre-chilling the system...and leave it up to a mod to decide if both posts should run concurrently.

</edit>

Eddie

~ Chi-town USA Nikonian ~

"Okay, so then what is the speed of darkness"?

D200 | 17-55 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR |SB800

Eddie

~ Chi-town USA Nikonian ~

"Okay, so then what is the speed of darkness"?

D200 | 17-55 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR |SB800

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: -20 *C