Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shooting Indoor Sports with D200 and 85mm F1.4 D AF Len

YTBlue

San Rafael, US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
YTBlue Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jun 2004
Sat 27-Jan-07 08:47 PM

My son plays HS basketball, and last evening I went to shoot a game. The indoor lighting was excellent, the 85mm Nikkor lens' field of view was perfect for the action, I boosted ISO to 800, but couldn't get the shot I wanted without a little blur. I used Aperature priority, but the NEF data shows my shots were mostly 1/80 to 1/90 at F2.8 to F3.5, so I wasn't getting the full advantage of the F1.4 lens. The roughly two-stop difference between F3.5 and F1.4 would have gotten me up to a shutter speed that would have eliminated any motion blur. (I used a monopod to steady the camera, which helped, but 1/90 is just not fast enough for the action.) What do I need to do to get that lens shooting fully open? There is an unlock on the aperature ring on the lens that would have let me open it up. Should I do that? What would have been best settings that would have yielded a 1/250 shutter speed? Should I have just gone to shutter priority at 250? I had the right equipment -- my trusty D200 and an awesome piece of glass, the 85mm F1.4 lens -- but didn't know how to use it.

YT

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shooting Indoor Sports with D200 and 85mm F1.4 D AF