Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D200 include date/timestamp in filename?

zooloo

Chicago, US
46 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zooloo Registered since 06th Nov 2004
Thu 11-Jan-07 01:45 AM

Anyone know how to customize the D200 to save filenames in a format such as:

20070110_001.JPG (YYYYMMDD_serialnum.JPG)

or some variant thereof?

The important thing for me is to include the year/month/date/serial.

I know the EXIF data has this info, but the current numbers used in the filename are meaningless to me in the long run, and a naming convention such as the above would be easy to sort in post-processing. I could do something fancy in post, but keeping it this way from the beginning eliminates one step in my workflow.

I believe this stems from older FAT filesystem limitations, but FAT32 (which I understand is what the D200 uses on my 4GB compact flash card) should support larger, and even extended FAT16 should (I think ... dunno for sure). I'm guessing Nikon wants to avoid compatibility probs with filenames > 8 chars, but it seems too restrictive.

I searched and found this DCF standard: http://www.exif.org/dcf.PDF and it details some of the naming conventions, so I'm guessing Nikon just uses this.

However, I still believe that the ability to shoot myself in the foot by possibly breaking compatibility with software I'm unlikely to use is something a more "prosumer" camera should allow with customized settings to override the defaults 8-) (confession: I'm an engineer type)

Modern computers and other devices can easily handle > 8 char filenames.

I just got my D200 today (my first D-SLR after years with a F80s), so I'm still fiddling with it.

TIA

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D200 include date/timestamp in filename?

G