Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

You asked for more D200 pics- here are a few I took.

boyersmile

Springfield, US
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
boyersmile Registered since 08th Jun 2004
Fri 16-Dec-05 07:40 PM

My hands are still shaking, so bear with me as I try to type this. My wife called me at work this morning at about 10:00 am. She said "good news, the camera shop just called. Your camera is in." 10 minutes later, I was at the shop to pick it up. (slow day at the office, so I was able to skip out for a little while)

I was the first person on their waiting list. I put my name down on Oct 31st. My dealer only received 5 bodies this morning. I was number 1 out of 40. As you can tell, I'm pretty excited to be one of the few people with this camera.

I had a chance to play with the camera last week when the Nikon rep was in town. Some of you have probably already seen some of those first shots on my smugmug gallery. Most of the shots were high iso samples.

I know a lot of you have been waiting to see what the camera is really capable of. I'm still at work right now, so I don't have the best subject matter to test the camera on. About the only thing worth shooting in my office are small objects, so here are a few shots with my 60mm macro and off-camera SB-800 (and a couple available light 50mm shots too.)

http://boyersmile.smugmug.com/gallery/1027757

I'll let you view the full rez originals as long as my server's bandwidth will allow. I may have to hide the full resolution originals if I'm getting too much traffic.

I'm still playing around with all the new options and settings. Besides the outstanding performance of this camera, it has a LOT of very convenient features. (and I haven't even had time to explore them yet)

One of the main things that I really like so far is the one button zoom in on the selected focus point during playback. On the D70 I would have to hit "enter", then hold down the "iso" button while turning the rear command dial. Then I would have to use the multi-selector to pan around the image until I found the focus point. This was a pain in the butt when I wanted to check focus. On the D200 you can program the multi-selector to zoom in to a predetermined percentage on the selected focus point. Push down on the multi-selector, and it automatically zooms in on the focus point. Very handy. This is also much easier to do now with the huge lcd.

I mentioned it before, but I'm still amazed at how fast this camera is. Mirror black out time is incredibly quick. I had a chance to use my screw-drive lenses on it. My 60mm macro lens has a loooong focus range from 1:1 to infinity. I haven't timed it against my D70, but it is quicker. It isn't noticeably faster when locking focus from something like 1 foot out to 20 feet. It is faster at racking out from near to far if I intentionally make it hunt for focus. The focus motor is definitely quieter than my D70.

I also did a quick check of the mirror lock up. I was using my 50mm 1.8 handheld at around 1/40. I had my elbows braced against a table and took a picture of a map. I did it again, only with mirror lock up. I'm amazed at how much sharper the MLU shot was. I'm sure there could have been other factors at play, but it will definitely help my macro shots.

I'm sure I'll have a few more comments on the camera after I have a chance to use it a bit more. I'll be using it for a few studio portrait sessions this weekend, so I'll have plenty of different subjects to test.

Merry Christmas to me. I hope everyone else gets theirs soon.

Miles
www.boyersmile.smugmug.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: You asked for more D200 pics- here are a few I took

G