Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need Some Advice Please

4runner

Columbia, US
76 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
4runner Registered since 28th Dec 2003
Tue 07-Dec-04 03:21 PM

I shot 70 or 80 pics for our Christmas card over Thanksgiving and my results where a bit disappointing. I was hoping to gain some insight from the group as kind of a “lessons learned” to help me produce better images in the future. Here are the details:

Location - beach on the North Carolina coast.
Time: 4:30 - 5:00 pm EST
Orientation: The coastline turns in so looking straight out over the ocean you are actually pointing due south. Therefore looking up the coastline to your left is east and down the coastline to your right is west. My subjects were facing west and the sun was setting back over my shoulder.
Metering - varied: center weighted and spot
Exposure - varied: P and A
WB - Sunny (adj to 4400 in PS after)
Color Space - Adobe RGB 1998 (mode II I think?)
D100
RAW
Handheld
Photoshop CS

The background looked pretty good; it was the subject’s faces where I had trouble. Basically they were too red. I worked and worked and just could not “get the red out.” I ended up settling but it still looks like they are wearing a pink/red shade of lipstick. In fact, if I could just reduce the red on their lips I would have been happy.

OK - that is all the info I can think to provide (I will post a picture later tonight) but please let me know if you have any other questions. What I’m asking for is some advice on what I needed to differently either with the initial setup or post processing. Here is what I think I could have done but I’m just guessing:

1 - shoot earlier in the day. I’m thinking the redness is inherent with shooting at sunset.
2 - Use a fill flash to give me the proper coloring on the subject while still maintaining the background coloring I liked.
3 - some sort of post processing procedure to correct the subjects faces without affecting the rest of the shot.

If necessary I would be more than happy to provide the RAW file if someone is willing to work on post processing to show me what could have been.

Thanks

Joe

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need Some Advice Please