Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Clean crisp images needed

arthury

US
1056 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
arthury Registered since 24th May 2002
Fri 13-Aug-04 04:59 AM

I have owned my D100 for almost a year and things just have not worked out as well as they ought to be. I recently saw images taken by a Canon Digital Rebel that came out so clean and crisp.
Truthfully, it's kind of upsetting that I have not seen my images coming out of my D100 so clean & crisp.

Is this due to the proprietary Canon post-processing ASIC chip that is doing such a good job or can post-processing in PS achieve this?

Here are some examples from the Rebel.

--
Arthur Yeo
My Portfolio
My Flickr Portfolio

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Clean crisp images needed
                                                  Reply message You might also try experimenting with LOW...
                                                  Reply message RE: You might also try experimenting with LOW...
                                                  Reply message Of course camera settings do matter if shooting JPEG...
                                                  Reply message RE: Of course camera settings do matter if shooting JPE
Reply | Quote | Alert
  • QP

Newton, US
    171 posts

#10. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

QP Registered since 26th Jul 2004
    Fri 13-Aug-04 04:28 PM

Yes, the D100 is capable of crisp, colorful images. As others have mentioned, it is designed so that you have to do a little post processing of the image.

Also, keep in mind that it's easy to take a 6mp image and make a crisp 640x480 (or however big those were) with it.

The grass often looks greener when shot with the other side's camera, but as many have mentioned, there are plenty of canon people who complain about their cameras.

Also, have you tried shooting in Iceland? No camera can make my back yard match the natural beauty of those locations.

Daniel Quaroni
    Quaroni Photos
    http://www.quaroniphotos.com

• drjimbob

Bowie, US
    15520 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#21. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature. Charter Member
    Sat 14-Aug-04 09:02 AM

Arthur - I apologize for having offended you. A few weeks ago, someone at work was looking at a small portfolio of some of my work and said "Wow - you must have a good camera." I replied "I do, just like Hemingway had a good typewriter." When I saw the comment about Lance Armstrong, I was reminded of that little incident, and wrote my post without thinking how it might be received. Please accept my apology, and thanks for the reminder to consider how someone else might react to what I write.

A BAD DAY BEHIND A NIKON (OR NIKON-HYBRID DSLR) BEATS A GOOD DAY BEHIND A DESK - Bob Tomerlin
    My Nikonians Gallery

A BAD DAY BEHIND A NIKON BEATS A GOOD DAY BEHIND A DESK - Bob Tomerlin
    My Nikonians Gallery

• MikeGraham

Caledon, CA
    311 posts

#23. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

MikeGraham Registered since 25th Oct 2003
    Sat 14-Aug-04 10:18 AM

>I have owned my D100 for almost a year and things just have
    >not worked out as well as they ought to be. I recently saw
    >images taken by a Canon Digital Rebel that came out so clean
    >and crisp.
    >Truthfully, it's kind of upsetting that I have not seen my
    >images coming out of my D100 so clean & crisp.

Can you post a center crop of raw image taken with every precaution for sharpness? I.e. on a tripod, mirror delay, using the timer, etc. with the sharpening turned off? This would help to establish whether maybe there might be something wonky with your camera.

Mike Graham
    D100 & Tamron AF28-300 XR
    SB-800 speedlight
    PB-6 bellows & AF50mm f/1.8D
    <http://web.295.ca/mike_graham&gt;

Mike Graham
    D100 & Tamron AF28-300 XR
    SB-800 speedlight
    PB-6 bellows & AF50mm f/1.8D
    <http://web.295.ca/mike_graham&gt;

• MikeInFL

Tampa, US
    11 posts

#45. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

MikeInFL Registered since 10th Aug 2004
    Fri 20-Aug-04 03:08 PM

Having owned my D100 for almost two years now (how time files!), here are the tips I would give you. Please keep in mind I am an amateur photographer with 0 experience before by D100 purchase. Much of what is to follow has already been described, and others may seem overly basic, so I'll apologize in advance if they offend you...

#1 -- Use good handholding technique and use a good tripod if you can.
    #2 -- Have the following settings in camera (Sharpning:None, WB:grey card or AUTO, Anti-vibration:ON, Tone Comp:Normal, Hue:0)
    #2 -- Shoot RAW
    #3 -- Use Nikon Capture as the first step in post processing. Correct WB, Contrast, Exposure, and other in-camera settings except sharpness.
    #4 -- Use PS as the next step and take care of resizing, more complex color corrections, cropping, resizing, etc.

You may find that certain camera settings applied in Capture become very commonplace, and if so, feel free to change the settings in camera -- Capture gives you the ability to change all that stuff in post-processing, provided you shoot in RAW.

As an aside, I struggled with my D100 until I picked up Thom Hogan's guide to the D100 (http://www.bythom.com/d100guide.htm) -- it was the manual that SHOULD have come with your D100. Another book by Ron Reznick (http://www.digital-images.net/eBook/ebook.html) on digital photography (focusing on technique and digital workflow for Nikon cameras) was a superb addition. You should investiage both e-books.

Hope this helps...Mike

Mike in FL...a fishing Nikonian

• flashdeadline

Havelock, US
    4118 posts

#48. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002
    Tue 24-Aug-04 06:33 AM

I've been following this line of discussion with great interest because I've been waiting for someone to mention the possibility of using custom tone curves.
    If someone did mention it I missed it after two full read-throughs and I apologize for my lack of attention.
    I've been using one provided by jtgraphics for over a year as a PJ and it has never failed me.
    In fact-- I took an entire afternoon last year and fiddled around taking pictures of men and women in the office each with different shades of skin to include pale white to African-American, holding a home-made "fan" made of construction paper in primary colors both indoors and outside (with and without flash) -- I eventually "tweaked" that curve so it is probably a mutant of the orginal provided by jtgraphics-- but it works great for me and I'm sticking with it.
    (Bear in mind I'm somewhat forced to stick to JPG Fine for most of my deadline sensitive "fast-shoot" type assignments-- I've tried the RAW-route but the read-write slow-down turned me off real fast).
    I got the curve from: https://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID79/25.html
    THANKS jtgraphics!
    ---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

• camerapapi

Miami, US
    1108 posts

#53. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

camerapapi Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2002
    Fri 27-Aug-04 11:56 AM

Arthur: Are you shooting RAW? I certainly see a significant difference between RAW and JPEG when using the D100.
    Something you should also know, the JPEG engine of the D100 I am more than convinced by now is not the best out there. Keep your files at low sharpening and tone at normal or AUTO. If you do not have Capture 4, I would recommend that you get a copy. It works marvels on the D100 files.
    By the way, the D100 does not underexpose nor it needs any special curves in my humble opinion. Just make sure you do not overexpose and you should be alright. If you like your files with a little bit more of exposure just lift middle tonalities by + 0.33 in your curves adjustment. Doing that will not affect the highligths. The rest is Photoshop.
    Hope this helps.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

• rflong

Dearborn, US
    4 posts

#62. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

rflong Registered since 04th Sep 2004
    Mon 06-Sep-04 04:08 AM

You did not say what type of files you are using. I use nothing but Large-Fine jpegs, and get the same results as the Canon images, which you link to in your note. Some tips I can give you are as follows:

Higher shutter speeds
    Use a monopod or tripod
    Make sure your white balance is correct
    Do not shoot if it is hazy or smokey
    use the sun to your advantage not detriment

Check this website http://www.richardflong.com.
    All I do are the usual post processing steps.

Richard Long
    rflong@wowway.com

• yourolddog

Strykersville, US
    28 posts

#65. "RE: Clean crisp images needed" | In response to Reply # 0

yourolddog Registered since 26th Sep 2004
    Fri 01-Oct-04 11:57 PM

www.raysstuff.com

Arthur, I thought I noticed the word "Linhof" on one of your post so I'm gonna assume you know your way around the medium. There aren't a lot of rookies walking around with that type of gear. Likely most of your gear is top shelf gear but not so with me.

I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and 80-200 2.8 and they present a much nicer image than my Sigma 15-30 and Sigma 28-70. The Nikkor's just seem to have more "clarity" in them. I think the Sigmas may be very cost effective but given the choice..............

Your thread is sure to make a differance in my work. A lot of the Vets on this site did a great job of explaining why I too have had problems with clarity. Now maybe my pics will have more tonal range for me to work with when I get them to PS CS and Cap4.

Ray.........

www.raysstuff.com

"When trying to make great photographs, don't make the camera do all the work...." CBS Photographer at NPPA camp

• G