Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
4runner

Columbia, US
76 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
4runner Registered since 28th Dec 2003
Fri 12-Mar-04 09:47 PM

I have read about digital noise and I understand that some will always be there. To compensate I usually shoot at ISO200. However, at around 5:30 EST I was shooting my kids swinging in the backyard and needed a shutter speed of 250 due to the action, This meant I had to raise the ISO to 800 to compensate. The shots looked pretty good on the camera, but after I uploaded and started examining them closely; way too much noise in the dark areas. Yuck!!! I even used a tool to reduce the noise and it still was unacceptable. So, here are my questions.

What are some recommendations when shooting at an ISO of 400 or higher to minimize noise?

What good is it to have ISO settings above 400 if the noise is so prevalent you really can’t “use” the images?

Any help is much appreciated.

Joe

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Noise at High ISO

G