Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your wisdom and experience, please

gbrenson

West Hartford, US
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gbrenson Registered since 02nd Jun 2003
Sun 14-Mar-04 10:19 PM

Hi, all:

I have finally made the quantum leap to a D100 body after more decades than I wish to remember with film and Nikon equipment that I adore (now with F5 and F100) and that I will probably continue to use. The learning curve is tougher than I hoped it would be but less than I feared it would be. Old dog, new tricks and that kind of stuff.

Here´s my situation and my request: I almost exclusively shoot scenics and landscapes in the different parts of the world that I work in. I rarely print anything, never more than 11x14, and generally use my pix for website albums for anyone interested, Powerpoint training program illustration, etc. Later this month I´ll be trekking the lake-and-land crossing in Patagonia, between Bariloche, Argentina and Puerto Montt, Chile. It´s kinda like crossing Switzerland; lots of mountains, crystalline lakes and autumn weather.

Now the question: in your experience, do I need to shoot RAW with all the storage that it entails or can I make due with jpeg fine, medium or large?

I know that one size doesn´t fit all, but have been reading different opinions on the different websites (Moose Peterson, Vivid Light, etc.) and would really appreciate your sharing any relevent experiences or information.

Ah...one more thing: The Lexar WA-40X 512 CF Card that I have says that the D100 needs some kind of downloadable update to take advantage of the speed. Can anyone tell me where to get it?

Thanks a million.

Gil

A Nikonian living in Bogotá, Colombia but rarely there.

Gilbert Brenson-Lazan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G