Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Newbie Question - Input needed

4runner

Columbia, US
76 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
4runner Registered since 28th Dec 2003
Mon 05-Jan-04 07:46 PM

Another newbie post.

I went touring some land in South Carolina on Sunday and brought my D100 with a 28-200 Nikon G lens to take some shots of the landscape and share with others. It was partly cloudy and all shot were taken between 2 – 4 pm. I use Photoshop CS and shoot RAW, ISO200 multi P, WB auto, +.33 EV, tone normal and defaults for all other settings.

First, I had many shots that were a combination of bright sky and dark shadows. For those I adjusted exposure for the bright areas by under exposing the image and saved it. Then, I repeated the procedure for the dark areas adjusting the opposite way and saved as a different name. I then combined the two images using the mask and glaussian blur technique (can’t remember the site right now) with some good and some not so good results. The site that described this technique recommended bracketing the exposure in the field, but I just took one shot varied the exposure in Photoshop since it was RAW. Also, the site said to use a 3 stop difference in the two images and I just adjusted the exposure so the target area looked “good.” Again, I need to experiment more as my results were mixed. I would appreciate some advice from the group on my approach here.

Second, on several shots at 28mm looking over a clear cut field away from the sun, I saw “Lo” in my viewfinder. I believe this means the camera was unable to properly adjust the exposure and in this case, the image would be underexposed. When I zoomed in a bit, the “Lo” went away. This seemed odd to me as I thought zooming in allowed less light and not more. Do you have any thoughts on this situation?

Thanks for the input.

G