Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

1,000 D100 Test Shots On Nantucket

PatrickInDC

Washington, US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PatrickInDC Registered since 28th Aug 2002
Fri 08-Aug-03 11:52 PM

Just reviewed about 1,000 D100 shots taken on Nantucket last week. First chance to REALLY compare NEF vs. JPG and the effects of curves loaded in camera vs. straight factory defaults. Shot in all kinds of light. Nikkor lenses 20 2.8, 50 1.8, 60 2.8 and 24-120. Sure wish Nikon had a FF camera so I could use all of my Nikkor primes! FWIW, the $100 50mm 1.8 lens is the worlds best buy – it is a great lens.

In any case, there really is no doubt, the NEF shots are better. It sure would be nice if a smaller files size NEF choice were available – for test shots and small prints the really big NEFs are not necessary.

For me, the preloaded curve in the camera makes a difference. But even with the custom curve, there is a need (with the D100) to keep checking the histogram and constantly adjusting the exposure settings. The D100 is not a P&S camera and the D100 needs your attention for the best results. Facts are very stubborn, the D100 can not be pre-set and left alone – it will not produce its best images that way.

Any comments or questions? Thanks.

G