Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
photobri

Phoenix, US
2334 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
photobri Basic Member
Thu 14-Mar-02 02:26 AM

Yes, a benefit from a photography convention...

I just returned from Las Vegas and the WPPI convention & trade show. (WPPI stands for Wedding and Portrait Photographers International) A fun conference with over 3000 photographers from around the world all talking about taking better images (and selling them!)

Well, the trade show was cool. The Nikon booth was the best. I saw the new SB80, the little SB30 (smaller than you think) - saw a few lenses that I never had seen (the 180mm SO COOL!!) and the 135 2.0 DC - can you say, "WOW"

I tried the D100 (and all the new little digital coolpix's) - I have digital overload. Far too much to learn, and you know it is only going to change for the better as soon as I understand what is out there now.
The D100 is not even close to being a F100 body. (The D1x is) Very Very misleading name. Almost everyone there thought the D100 was based on a F100 because of the name. All I had to do was say, "go hold it and focus with it." They are not even close.

Now this is not to say the D100 is bad. Quite the opposite. (Remember I love my N80) - I may soon have one of these babies. If the price is under $2000, or when it get there... (Prices for these new items drops significantly as soon as the first wave of consumer-purchases ends.) I think they (Nikon) had to sculpt the body just a little different since the Fuji S2 is on an N80 platform.
Other than the 180 synch (very slight improvement) - there is not much else different. The viewfinder, focus motor, sound, buttons, feel, are all the same. If I closed my eyes, I'd think it was a N80.

This will be a very big seller, trust me. But according to Murphy's law, as soon as I get one, they will come out with a better one (or the price will drop another 25%!)

I'm tired and rambling...

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

My Fun Stuff
What I do

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I tried the D100 !
Reply message RE: I tried the D100 !