Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Color Temperature Setting Chart for D100

RRowlett

Hamilton, US
1258 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RRowlett Gold Member Charter Member
Sun 14-Jul-02 12:33 AM

I have made available a D100 color temperature setting chart suitable for lamination in a wallet-sized laminating pouch. D100 users may find this card helpful for gaining more precise control over color temperature settings for getting realistic color or for creative purposes. Sadly, the Auto white balance on the D100 is just as bad as for compact digicams. To gain real creative control over digital photography it is necessary to use consistent white balance settings. Moose Peterson has written an excellent article about white balance at nikondigital.org that sparked my interest in sorting out the D100 for myself. As Moose suggests, I have found a color temperature setting of about 6700K results in a suitable, realistic "daylight film" setting for the D100. Your mileage may vary, but I tend to like SHADE+3 (or CLOUDY-3) as a basic daylight color temperature setting. When photographing gardens , cooling the image a bit by lowering the color temperature setting closer to 6000K (CLOUDY) makes the greens really pop. Several color temperatures can be achieved with more than one setting, but the quality of the image is slightly different. (For example, 5600K can be set with SUN-3, FLUORESCENT-1, or CLOUDY-2.) Experiment to see what works best for a particular application.

Cheers.

G