The new D100's from Japan on Ebay are going all the way up to the $5000 mark. Now, normal though would think gray market cameras should be cheaper. Now, I'm not sure how much of a hurry we all need one, but I hope that none of us will get taken in this camera gauging.
Your "here`s one" is invalid. Just go to ebay.com and type in Nikon D100 and a number of idiots have bid $7,000.00 to 16,000.00 dollars! Of course the seller is one person from Canada so it could just be a scam to jack up the price. If you regularly surf eby you`ll see many paying inflated prices for simple items ($285.00 for a used SB-28).
i wouldn't consider japan as gray market. as a matter of fact, it's more expensive there than anywhere else in the world. why that is when nikon is made there, i wouldn't know. gray market would be hong kong, bangkok, etc.
I found that there are quite a few "legit" D100's up on ebay. I have always been successful in buying camera equip there - just look for these things:
1. If you are in the US, only buy from someone in the US (this is not a non-USA bashing - just what has worked for this American - not trying to offend anyone but I can't speak for what I haven't done.)
2. Look at the ads - this is key! ONLY go with the ones that look GOOD - PROFESSIONAL. This would represent someone that took the time to post the auction, and less likely someone just trying to scam you. Also, if the auction item is highlighted, then the seller paid more to do that - hence more serious. If there is a reserve set, then the seller must really have the product, since he/she is willing to walk away from the deal if he/she does not get a minimum price. Scammers usually just take the (any) money and run!
3. Make sure the item says "brand new" at least for D100's that just came out.
4. Do not do a wire-transfer, Western Union, or even send check/MO - Use PayPal with/or a credit card only.
5. If you want the D100 now, and you are stuck down low on a waiting list, you will have to pay more for it. You should be able to get it at no more than US$2700.
12 D100`s for $200 bucks a pop? What`s the joke cause I don`t get it? Currently Ritz camera sells the D100 for $1999.95. On RitzAuctions on E-bay someone bid $2349.00 for the same camera. Same store/same camera.........three hundred fifty dollars more.