Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

UK D100 & ringflash (non D-TTL)

Chrisp

6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Chrisp Basic Member
Wed 17-Jul-02 06:41 PM

Hi everyone,
I am a new D100 owner (with 1Gig microdrive), having been an F80 (=N80 European) user for a couple of years. No learning curve - the D100 is effectively the same body that I have been using for years.
My big interest is macro, and my 105mm Sigma is now around a 135mm on the D100. This is good. My other interest is airshows, and my 400mm Sigma is now a 600mm on the D100. Cool.
One problem. My F80 worked fine with a TTL metering 3rd party ringflash (centon MR40). My D100 gets upset with the ringflash attached. It blinks the flash LCD square and locks up. The manual says that a "non D-TTL" mode speedlight is being used, and use manual flash settings on the speedlight. These are not an option on my ringflash (TTL or nothing). I note that, coincidentally, Nikon have recently released a new digital ringflash.
I have (kind of) solved this by blanking out all the flash pins except the big X-synch with insulating tape. OK, the flash is always at full output, but, since we are now working digital, getting the exposure right by trial and error is easier. I can always remove the tape when using the F80.
Best regards, Chris

G