Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Very basic D100 question: why do I need Nikon Capture?

chipcarterdc

6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chipcarterdc Registered since 19th Jul 2002
Fri 19-Jul-02 06:36 PM

Sorry for such a basic question: my D100 is on the way, and despite much web searching, I can't figure out if I need Nikon Capture to work with images from it. The key word here is "need." From what I've been able to find, it seems that Nikon View will allow viewing AND conversion of .nef (RAW) files into 16-bit TIFFs, which I would inport into photoshop and make necessary image corrections there. I know that Nikon Capture allows additional manipulation of .nef files that Nikon View doesn't, but am I correct in understanding that I will be able to view and convert NEFs to 16-bit TIFFs just with the supplied software (Nikon View)? Or do I need Nikon Capture to do this?

Incidentally, if Nikon View does allow conversion to 16-bit, do people get Nikon Capture because of the equivalent of "do as much adjustment in the scanner/camera as possible rather than in Photoshop?" (If so, then not having nIkon Capture won't bother me because I do almost all of my adjustments in Photoshop rather than in my scanner software and haven't noticed much difference (I guess I could be convinced otherwise...)).

Or, am I missing something here? Is it only possible to get the "most" (in a real world sense, not theoretical) out of NEFs by using Nikon Capture and making adjustments in that software, even if it's possible to convert to TIFF using Nikon View and make photoshop adjustments?

Thanks!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Very basic D100 question: why do I need Nikon Captu
Reply message All good advice so far, plus...
Reply message RE: All good advice so far, plus...
Reply message RE: All good advice so far, plus...

G