Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
entman

princeton, US
56 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
entman Registered since 11th Aug 2002
Wed 21-Aug-02 01:34 PM

I traded in my n80 body which has been sitting in my camera bag for most of the last year having taken only 2-3 rolls over the last 12 months. I have been wanting a digital camera but everything I looked at looked like a toy next to an SLR. I have nothing but accolades for this camera. This camera has made me enjoy taking pictures again. Part of this new enthusiasm is that it is something new; part is that I can see what I have without waiting for the roll of film to be used up and developed. I have been reading all the forum's I can find about this camera and experimenting with the raw, jpeg and tiff modes. I have found that the jpeg fine, sharp mode suits my needs just fine. I have tried printing the pictures on my home epson photo 870 however although the pictures are photo quality I do not like the curl in the paper when printing from the 4 x 6 roll paper. If I use the 4 x 6 flat paper I find I do not get borderless prints and I hate spending time in photoshop and editing, croping and resizing. I now take my compact flash card to the local photo developer and they download my images and print them. The images unedited by me but contrast adjusted at the phot developer are beutiful and sharper then the prints I am used to from my N80. I know that I am paying 49 cents per print but for me it is worth it to not have to fuss with photoshop for all my pictures. I plan to store my originals on cd's which can also be taken to the phot o developer for printing. I plan to use the photoshop for printing my larger prints. I have a comment about the nikon 3 software; I don't llke it as much as photoshop. Unfortunately I will not be able to import raw files if I want them without buying this proprietary software.
All and all I am enjoying the camera. A larger buffer would be nice for shooting raw action shots although the buffer is fine for action jpeg shots. Yesterday my family I spent the day at a water park and I was able to catch some great shots of them coming down the water slides.
Here is my wish list : What is your wish list ?
1. I would like to see prices on compact flash come down to under $100 for 256 meg cards. Anyone know where I can get the best prices on compact flash cards ?
2. New nikor lense with better wide angle made for digital slr.
3. A downloadable (is that a word?) firmware upgrade which will allow for changes/improvements in buffer speed for raw files. so that you do not have to bring your camera to nikon for the installation.
4. A compact flashcard with a lossless fast compression or a nikon firmware upgrade, which doubles the effective capacity for large fine jpegs
5. A service you can upload your pictures to on the internet and have all your photoediting done for you or a software program which does a good job when you click auto adjust.
cheers, dave
ps attached is a picture taken with this camera

G