Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D100 Underexposure and inability to use Nikon Capture 3

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Sat 17-Aug-02 05:46 PM

After much patience and deliberation, I decided to jump into the digital arena and purchase the Nikon D100 from a local dealer here in Raleigh, NC . After waiting only 3 weeks, I received my unit. I cannot tell you how much I was anticipating this purchase because for over 20 years I've been using F-series Nikon cameras. Much to my dismay, however, I soon discovered that the D100 tends to underexpose quite dramatically. I've tried a variety of metering methods, but I'd say in over 60-75% of all cases, the end result requires that I have to manipulate my images in some type of graphics editor program .

I waited several weeks and a thousand photos later to really come to a conclusion, and regretably it's the same!!! The camera, although beautifully designed underexposes many shots thereby necessitating post image manipulation. This is a tremendous disappointment - especially for those of us jumping into the digital fray. This should NOT be the case after paying $2000 for the body alone!! I've been using higher quality lenses, in particular the Nikon 17-35 F2.8 Zoom, the Tamron Pro Series 24-135 F3.5, and the Nikon 80-200 F2.8 lenses.

I am having problems getting my Capture 3.0 software to work on my PC with Windows XP also. I am currently trying to work with Nikon tech reps to figure out the problem, but all they have been doing is to refer me to the next higher level. The problem with Nikon is that they tell you to call between 9 AM and 4 PM - when many of us are at work, and it's important that we be in front of our PC's when we call.

I can't even bring up the Nikon Capture software without getting a message that says, "Initialization error. Updated Driver Required. The Driver Version is incompatible with this Product and requires updating." I have the latest version of Capture. Is anybody else having this problem with Windows XP? I unloaded and reinstalled Nikon Capture 3.0 at least six times now. It does not work with the camera attached to the PC via USB cable, and it doesn't work in other modes either. My USB ports function perfectly, so it's not a USB problem. In addition, my Nikon Vu software works perfectly!

At first I thought it was a camera driver problem and I went to the Nikon website. They don't have any D100 camera drivers - just those for the D1 and Coolpix models. I downloaded those, but that didn't work either.

Is there anyone else out there who is having the same experiences? I've thoroughly read and become accustomed to the camera - all to no avail. Yet, when I view other images taken by some lesser cameras, I am taken aback at the quality right out of the camera. Or, am I being too critical and should get used to the fact that post image manipulation will be a necessity in all cases?

Please advise...thanks. The first person that can truly help and solve my dilemma will have a case of the finest beer shipped to his or her home!!! That's a promise! Otherwise, I'm ready to go back exclusively to my F5 and F100 units!!!!

Please reply or contact me at benherrmann@earthlink.net.

Have a good day...

Bernd Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, NC

Good Shooting...

Ben

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 Underexposure and inability to use Nikon Captu

G