I am # 51 on the waiting list at the local camera shop for a new D100. Two questions: (1) is my camera in a ship off the West coast waiting for the strike to end? Are there places I can buy one now, if I decide not to wait? (2) even if I can buy one somewhere else, should I wait? I note the recent thread about sending in cameras for a "fix" -perhaps waiting another 2 or 3 or 4 months would be better?
I wouldn't wait -- but then again, I'm a guy who paid $60 for overnight delivery of his D100 because I couldn't bear to wait another day!
Although there were huge waiting lists at first, it seems that with a little checking around, you can find a dealer that has it in stock. The "street price" is a shade under $2,000, and there does not appear to be substantial deviation from that among dealers -- either higher or lower. Ebay had a number of dealers claiming to hav a D100 in stock.
As for waiting longer for a "better unit," you would end up waiting indefinitely if your goal was to get the latest and greatest firmware update. Units like this get firmware updates every few months, frequently with insubstantial improvements. For example, check the poll regarding who is going for the Version 2.0 update -- very few. I certainly am not.
On the whole, then, I would buy the D100 now from a different dealer, no need to wait until 50 people ahead of you get theirs.
I initially read your post to be poking fun at people (like me) who want it NOW. Then I read your link and realized you too appear to suffer from the same afflicton. Digital feeds into the syndrome -- you see the picture NOW, can load it in the computer and edit it NOW, and print it out NOW. Two days ago there was a gorgeous sunset by my house. I had a beautiful 8.5 x 11 print within 15 minutes...