Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D100, Cloudy -3, And Some Surprises

kmiecmonster

Bloomington, US
713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kmiecmonster Registered since 30th Apr 2002
Mon 03-Feb-03 01:23 AM

I like many people who own the D100 have (had) a love/hate relationship with it. One the one hand it does so many amazing things for 2K but has the under exposure issue and take some serious tinkering with white balance.

I've owne mine for about 4 months now and I honestly think I have finally hit my stride and am at the point where I am nearly 100% satisfied.

I want to address a couple of items:

1. Underexposure: I do think it's an issue. My shots are about 1/3 to 1/2 underexposed. However not a big issue since when you shoot raw (i do about 95% of the time) you make your corrections in post production.

2. White balance: I firmly believe that Cloudt -3 is the best all occasions setting. When I shoot portraits I will maually set it witha gray card, but for indoor, outdoor, on the go, set it and forget it I do think Cloudy -3 is the best.

3. The Buffer: One of the knocks going for the D100 was the buffer. Only 4 images in the buffer. I have some issues with that. In theory a buffer is a set # much like cache on a hard drive. I personally feel that if a .NEF file is about 9mb and you can get 4 of those before the buffer is full then you are talking about 36mb for the buffer. Well if that is the case then I should be able to shoot a boat load of JPGs given how much smaller they are. That is not the case. I do have to agree that for the sports enthusiast you really can't get by with a D100. It will work a good portion of the time but you really would be better off with a D1X/D1H.

4. I used my D100 today at an Arena Football game. I attached my 80-200 2.8 (2 touch) with a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter. I did not use a tripod or a monopod. Bumping my film speed to 1000 I was able to acheived what I feel are very surprisingly good results. In truth I was simply awe struck at how sharp things were despite: No tripod, using a teleconverter, and only 4 shots to a buffer.

Anyhow, I basically wanted to say that I am finding myself slowly using my D100 more an more and my N90S less and less. Comparing Velvia slides scanned in with a Nikon 4000 Scanner vs. Raw shots on the D100 leaves me right in the middle. I think the ability to edit my shots digitally makes the difference and will ultimately lean me to using my D100 more and more. I am looking forward to IBMs new 2gb Microdrive. I figure with that and the 1gb one already have I should be set.

One question though. Are some shots simply impossible? I mean lets say I did have my tripod. if I wanted to freeze the action with no blur I would need to shoot at 1000th/sec. Trying to do that with a 2.8 opening with that light made all my shots just way too dark. What are your thoughts?

-----------------------------
Give me my D2Hs and 50mm 1.4, then step out of my way.
http://www.thekmiecs.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100, Cloudy -3, And Some Surprises
Reply message Let's talk about this Cloudy -3 WB issue some more
Reply message RE: Let's talk about this Cloudy -3 WB issue some more
Reply message Just post them if you can
Reply message To clarify...
Reply message RE: Let's talk about this Cloudy -3 WB issue some more
     Reply message You talking about vtie's Photo Control software?
          Reply message RE: You talking about vtie's Photo Control software?

G