Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D100 AF performance - something to calm everybody down

sagittarius

237 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sagittarius Registered since 18th Aug 2002
Tue 28-Jan-03 04:11 AM

So there has been a couple of D100 vs whatever comparison threads recently which got on some people's nerves so here is something to help everybody cool off and show some real life performance that a typical camera review does not present that well. I found this link to a test Chausseur D'image did for autofocus performance for various DSLR's and DZLR's. I thought I would share it with you and I hope I will not upset anybody. As you will see, the D100 rocks. My french is quite weak but here is what I understand the numbers tell you. French speaking people please correct me.
AF-Lag (sec)
Minimum lighting for AF to work properly (LUX)
Minimum contrast for AF to work properly (%)
The bar with the the legs beside it is the slow moving object focusing test result. The distance shown is the distance a person moved from pressing the shutter till the photo is taken.
The other bar is AF test for objects moving at 55MPH. The number of triangles is the burst of pics taken. The green ones are good, orange acceptable and red not acceptable. The D100 acheives 6/6 .. impressive.

The nice results for the D100 were not achieved with Nikon's AFS lenses, which might even give better results. The lenses used were Sigma's 24-70HSM lens for the slow moving subject test and 70-200 HSM for the fast moving target.

The test results are here
http://www.photim.net/Acrobat/CI-250-Speed-Mouv.pdf
The testing procedure is here
http://www.photim.net/Acrobat/CI-250-Speed-Intro.pdf

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 AF performance - something to calm everybody
Reply message RE: D100 AF performance -