Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is upgrading firmware v1.01 to v2.00 necessary?

renaissoft

Garibaldi Highlands, CA
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
renaissoft Registered since 24th Feb 2003
Tue 25-Feb-03 07:32 AM

I've just picked up my brand-new D100 this past week, and I've since learned that there's a Nikon firmware upgrade available (v2.00) for my camera, which apparently shipped with v1.01 installed. Having looked at the list of features/fixes in the v2.00 upgrade, though, I'm not convinced that I need to go to the trouble of sending the camera across the country to be serviced.

I don't use a Mac, so "Remote control operation with MacĀ® computers" isn't a feature that matters to me. I don't use Photoshop 7, so "Improves compatibility of Color Mode II with Adobe Photoshop 7" is no big deal. "Compatibility with newest Lexar CompactFlash cards" doesn't apply to me either, since I use an IBM MicroDrive. And finally, "Easier organization of image and associated sound file" wouldn't seem to help me much, since I don't use voice annotation (and don't have/want the MB-D100 anyway).

On the other hand, I've read in various forums that upgrading the firmware also has other benefits, specifically in the area of white-balance bracketing, though that isn't listed among the v2.00 features/fixes (perhaps it was an earlier upgrade that I can't find any reference to anymore?). Are there any other undocumented features/fixes that I should be aware of, that might warrant sending my new camera in for the upgrade?

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Garibaldi Highlands, BC

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is upgrading firmware v1.01 to v2.00 necessary?
Reply message Ther e is another good reason for upgrading to 2.0
Reply message RE: Ther e is another good reason for upgrading to 2.0
     Reply message It's only silicon my good man...
Reply message Upgrade only if you need the feature
Reply message Thanks for the help!

G