Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mick

Knowlton, CA
176 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mick Basic Member
Mon 03-Mar-03 01:12 PM

I have been following this forum for as long as the D100 has been released. I have read all of the complaints about flat images, burnt out highlights, custom curves etc.. and also of those who really love it. I was very hesitant to buy one myself based on all the negative comments and also what the future will bring. I borrowed my friend's D100 last week (it was also new to him so he gave me no instruction). I shot a dozen images and played with it very briefly as he needed it back for his own use. Please view my test images and accept these tips from my experience with this amazing camera.

The most important bit of advice I can give is to use the built in Histogram feature to help judge your exposure. Even then you must bracket unless you are absolutely sure you have a perfect exposure. In the film world we could bracket and judge the best exposure on the light box to use for scanning. To assume that you have guessed the right exposure or that the matrix metering is giving the right exposure is prone to error. The digital equivalent of shooting one shot that you assume to be correct is the same as scanning the wrong exposure.

The next important advice would be to be familiar with photoshop. ie. setting the white point, black point, curves, colour balance etc..

Anyone who has tried colour (or B&W) darkroom techniques will understand that good prints don't just happen.

The 3rd tip would be that for anything other than high end art photography or high quality CMYK reproduction JPG Fine is MORE than adequate. I cannot see the diiference off my Epson 820 or on screen. Don't worry about RAW or NEF or View5 or Capture3. Just download into photoshop and fine tune from there. I do not see the need for any custom curves.

The last shot of the boat lift was using studio strobe and I am ready to place it in the brochure today! Amazing! (I will post another message for advice I need on strobe exposure)

I must now decide what to sell to be able to buy my own D100 (Do they take trade ins on F80's?)

Steve O'Collin
(Mick)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 - test shots

G