Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to get a short DOF on Nikon DSLR?

ABO

Germantown, US
15 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ABO Basic Member
Fri 10-Nov-06 07:14 PM

Hi:

Since Nikon has released DSLR cameras, I have noticed it until this February. I finally made a decision to get a DSLR instead of my 35mm camera; I bought a D200 body. All my lenses are not the DX lens (I could save much money).As long as I used D200, I still can't figure out getting a short DOF (Depth of Field).

When I take pictures, although I can get a 1.5X greater image through a smaller CCD sensor, I still get a too long DOF even I use the largest aperture f/2.8. I always have a lot troubles on the subjects are too big but the DOF does not short enough (I want to blur the foreground and back ground)

I have tried to use DOF formulas to compare the differences. I get a result. The non DX lens be used on DSLR camera, the DOF will 2~3 f-stop smaller (number bigger) than in 35mm( in the same big image condition).

Does anyone who knows how to get a short DOF except getting a DX lens? Please give me your suggestions

Thanks

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to get a short DOF on Nikon DSLR?

G