Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Hands on D200 San Diego 12/4/05 Pics posted

Will Hunt

San Diego, US
129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Will Hunt Registered since 20th Nov 2005
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:04 PM

Will Hunt:
I just returned from a George's Camera Expo 2 hours ago 12/4/05 at the Del Mar Racetrack (great job George's). I was there yesterday (saw Rockwell) but the Nikon Rep was late flying the Prodution D200 in from a Atlanta show, and I had a afternoon apointement.

I returned today (12/04/05)early and found less crowd also and got lots of time with the D200 and 18-200mm VR. They had a full production D200 and new VR Lens. This is breaking new ground as the mysterious cam 1000 has come to fruishion as faster than expected. They had a D2X next to the D200 and the D2X is faster in my humble opinion only in shooting sports or car racing. I think you had better callabrate your machines and this will be the only way you can tell the differance in the autofocus speed, with the D200 compaired to, D2X, Canon D5, and EOS-1DS Mark II ( they had a Canon table at the show with a full line of cameras and lenses). I would like to make it clear the D200 autofocus tracked very well in low light, which this room was. The 11 point sensor and 7 point wide sensor is only slightly different from the Cam 2000...I am told by the Nikon Rep the D2X is better, slightly better electonics, faster cropped mode but not in normal mode...but I squizzed his head (I was that pesty fly he could not swat away) and he kept saying he did not have enough time with the D200 to say how close the autofocus was. My compairison and all I talked to handling both, put them on equal footing.

I also had the 18-200mm VR on both the D200 and the D2X so I got a fair comparison of both cameras, one guy brought his D2X over his shoulder and I asked him his opinion and he said the autofocus cam speed was very close to each other with the D2X and the D200 as he was testing it!!! The pro's will have both cameras in their bags,as they will both do well at specific tasks, with one camera being a little lighter...like when the F5 and F100 came out in the dinosaur age,(seems like millions!!) a couple of years ago.

I brought my 80X 2gig card and got 33 pictures, but only 10 or so came out great as my shaking hands, my changing all the settings, and people bumping me allowed.Some were out of focus as I had my finger on the manual focus ring while reading the meters in the eyepiece. I also noticed the range of the "pop" up flash is only 10-15 ft and.... we were ...."focused on the camera" and not the range we were shooting...in a larger auditorium like this you need the external flash. They had 2 SB600 and SB800's on the table with batteries right in front of us, wish I remembered to ask to put them on. In fairness to me I had the Nikon Rep also taking the camera from me, taking my 2gig card out, and prying my hands off it, over and over, to let other people see it.

The pictures are great and can only be can compaired to a 12mg and up camera any brand. This will rock everyone, I had not ordered the VR yet as I was concerned by about performance, but it far execeded what I expected. I own a 70-200 VR F2.8 and it is faster, but this 18-200mm VR will be a great all around performer, and appears to my first impression, put the 24-120mm VR to shame. The barrel on the 18-200mm VR was smooth and responsive. It will not perform as well as a expensive F2.8 lens, but every average guy will have this, and I will carry it for a light broad purpose lens, on short trips, and it is small and light enough for your pocket, if you need a 200mm in a instant on a long trip, when you can't carry all your gear.

George's Camera San Diego is trying...I say trying... to get a D200 for their store by this weekend of the 12/10/05 and they have great service!! This show has not been matched in SD before with pro seminars, and vendors, I'm hoping for the same next year. Check out their store if you want to see the camera. This D200 camera I saw, came from a Atlanta show and arrived late yesterday afternoon here to San Diego. The Nikon Rep only had it a week!! They say the D200 will be on time to deliver the 15th or so...we will see. Maybe a Christmas Early!!!

Picture is 18-200mm VR at 200mm ISO 400 F4 1/60
Pop up flash at 20+ ft very dark room

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Will Hunt

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Hands on D200 San Diego 12/4/05