Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Update on Service to D200 (

4yanx

Bay Area, US
415 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
4yanx Registered since 20th Jan 2006
Fri 06-Oct-06 04:10 PM

This post refers to the problem as found in this archived link:

https://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID202/19571.html#0

I had heard a "POP" sound from inside my D200 and, at the advice of the on-line tech, I sent it in for assessment. This was the second time I have had to send the D200 back to Nikon, and a second outlay of $25 insured shipping, BTW (the first was for the banding issue and a bad back focus problem, which was not even fully addressed).

I sent a letter with the camera and asked to be kept informed as to what was found wrong with the camera. After the shipping tracking number indicated one week had passed since Nikon received the camera, I called to see if there was a service number available. No, I was told, a week was "too soon". I let another four days pass and sent an e-mail inquiry. A response came the next day with a service number. Upon looking it up, I saw that the camera had been repaired under a B2 code (major parts replaced), though with no return date scheduled. I politely inquired via e-mail as to why I had not been notified of what problems had been found, as I requested, and queried as to what had been repaired. I went on to say that I would like to talk to someone about the repairs and indicated that if there were further "major" repairs needed or if these repairs proved ineffective, I'd like to have Nikon consider providing a replacement camera.

I received a very curt reply saying the "there is no way to speak with the technician that did the repair work" and that there was "no way to find out what was done" to my camera, that "only the code would be provided". The person went on further to say that Nikon would only fix a camera that was at all fixable and would not replace a camera. He then offered a rather lame analogy that if I took in my car to be fixed, would I expect a new car instead of repair. I replied that if I took my car in for repair, I would not be told that they had fixed it but no one was available that had worked on it and no one could tell me what had been done. I also said that, like a lotof people, if I had a car that needed MAJOR repair TWICE within eight months that I would consider selling the car and moving to a different manufacturer. I have heard nothing in reply.

Now, I have owned numerous Nikon products over a very long period of time. I have had issue with only one other product several years ago and the issue was addressed promptly, courteously, and with full disclosure (they even sent back the old part). This is one reason I have continued with Nikon. I know that isolated incidents of bad service can occur, but something similar happened the first time I sent this camera in (no service number provided and the camera was fixed and sent out without notification). I just found it one day on my doorstep. But, this current treatment I find wholly unacceptable. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone think it is unreasonable to expect that Nikon should tell me what was wrong with my camera and what parts required replacement?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Update on Service to D200 ("Popping" Issue)
Reply message RE: Update on Service to D200 ("Popping" Issue)
     Reply message RE: Update on Service to D200 (
Reply message RE: Update on Service to D200

G