Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

CLS and the D200: Killing the on cam flash

3XP05UR3

73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
3XP05UR3 Registered since 30th Mar 2006
Thu 05-Oct-06 02:18 PM

In commander mode, the built in flash fires weakly and prematurely to the main flash to relay exposure and triggering informaton.

Now before you say it so weak that it won't contribute to the scene you're dead wrong. MOST of the time it will be too weak but if there's a reflective surface on the scene, it will show up. And if you don't believe me, go take a picture into a mirror.

But beyond that, the problem I'm having is with regards to using a flashmeter. I'd like to be able to know (from setting off cam flashes manually) how strong the flashes are to set up ratios. My flashmeter (Sekonic L-558R) meters the preflash NOT the main flash.

The closest solution I came across was to place a #87 infrared gel over the built in flash to knock out the light but allow it to transfer data. I can't find those things anywhere under $200.

Anyone else have a solution?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CLS and the D200: Killing the on cam flash

G