Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D200 issues unresolved with Nikon

Laurie J

US
71 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Laurie J Registered since 22nd Aug 2006
Tue 22-Aug-06 08:40 PM

I have had no satisfaction dealing with the issues I've had. Below is a copy of the posts I have been leaving on forums. I have been left no choice but to shout from the rooftops...someone is bound to hear me since Nikon clearly doesn't seem to care.

Sigh...I've had a D200 for about 3 months and I've done nothing but fight with it and Nikon since the day I got it.

Background is that I am new to digital and bought and Olympus E300 in Sept of 2005. I found it incredibly amazing right out of the box even though the camera itself was so inexpensive compared to other 8mp DSLR's. In the beginning I never did post processing (didn't even have the software to do it or the knowledge if I did.) I used Picasa to sort and save all my images. It was more than adequate for my first forrays into digital. I shot JPEG only and the images were fantastic straight from the camera.

So a few months down the road I figured if this cheapo DSLR was that good with it's limits and having come as far as I had, and getting more work my way, it seemed it was time for me to get a serious camera. So I looked at the D200 and read great things about it etc. So I bought one.

I noticed right out of the gate that this camera was going to fight me every step of the way...OK chalk it up to a learning curve. Called Nikon almost every day with new issues. Nikon convinced me that it was something in the computer, 3 comps had the same issue so I found that a little more than co-incidence (arched banding Not the vertical that I had read about and color abberations that are hard to describe, hazy issues and focus problems, and Noise issues even at ISO 100 and 200 in daylight) So I get a new comp, this time a Mac...well, still issues, call Nikon...this time they blame the fact that I wasn't using their software, so I loaded up their software (several versions, including Nikon Picture Project (no good) Nikon View (no better), Nikon Capture (same issues). Contact Nikon again. Now they start getting rude. One even hung up on me. I was in tears having spent so much money on the camera and I cried to him that he had to help me fix this, his reply was "I don't have to help you with anything!" and he hung up on me! I hadn't yelled, I was upset and crying clearly distressed. Now I am ##### so I call and ask for s supervisor to which they respond that there is none, which is pre BS. I finally get another tech on the line and this one starts blaming the card reader I was using which still works fine with the Olympus, so fine I stop using the card reader, no change still get the noise even in daylight with ISO of 100 and 200, the color banding, the soft hazy photos that have become the norm from the D200 for me. Apple even exchanged the computer with full credit towards a G5 when it was brought to their attention that there may be an issue with the Intel based processors that were in the Mac I originally got.

So now several months into owning the D200, a new Power Mac G5, Photoshop CS2, and I am still getting very inconsistent, disappointing results from this camera. Rare conditions yield OK results but not without post processing the stuff out of the images (which I hate, I am not into post processing at all, I like the behind the camera work not the in front of the computer work, in fact I despise it (except for enhancing portraits of people to soften signs of aging, remove teenage acne and other blemishes...etc, that I enjoy. But My passion is landscape, and nature photography, which shouldn't require gobs of post processing, at least with theOlympus it never did for me.)

I am convinced based on what others have said that this unit is defective, which is what I had argued with Nikon from day 1. But of course now it is too late to return it even though I experienced issues from the moment I took the first shot. Kind of like leaving the shoe store putting on your new shoes only to have the heel fall of with your first step.

I have argued with Nikon that repairing isn't an option, I want a replacement since the issues had been documented from day one and it was the Nikon tech support that staved me off from returning the camera to the store to the point where it was beyond the stores return policy date...totally unfair.

I have since sent blind uneditted samples to people of identical shots taken with the Olympus and the D200 and as I expected the Olympus has been selected as the better quality image hands down over the D200.

I have a faulty camera and Nikon is not being fair about it at all. They could take a lesson from Apple. Apple stood behind their product, and it wasn't even defective per se, it was a language conflict, something about the Universal Binary Code with the Intel chip and some of the software I was using. Apple based the return, full credit exchange (I owned the comp for a month) on the premise that I should have been steered to a diferent model based on my needs. Apple Tech support actually contacted the store and arranged the exchange for me. Apple has even had their business team contact me to check up on things to make sure all is well with the comp, which it is. Nikon hangs up onme when I even suggest such a thing as exchanging the camera and have called me ignorant and said that I must be the one who is doing something terribly wrong for the camera to yield the results I get. They are rude and don not care about you after you purchase their products.

A few weeks ago the Nikon rep was supposed to meet with me on a specific Wednesday to look at and discuss the issues, well as you can imagine, they never confirmed the appointment and never contacted me again. I made another appointment with them for September 7th at 4pm...we'll see if they honor it this time. I have my doubts.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D200 issues unresolved with Nikon
Reply message Camera setting
Reply message RE: Camera setting