Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"digital" zoom versus "optical" zoom

arcweldernorth

Toronto, CA
136 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
arcweldernorth Registered since 05th Nov 2005
Thu 10-Aug-06 03:23 AM

I want to share the results of a test I did this weekend with my D200.

I shoot wildlife and sports, so I like telephoto lenses. On my F5 I got used to using a TC to extend my 80-200mm f2.8 AFS and even my 300mm F4 and I got some pretty decent results even with my TC 20 E although the TC 14 produces visibly better results.

Obviously I love the fact that my D200 made all my lenses 50% "longer" but since I like birds and I don't have a really big lens like the 500mm AFS I have tried my TCs with my lenses on the D200 as well.

This weekend I got to wondering whether I would get a better final image by shooting a scene with lets say the 300mm and cropping it or using the 300mm with the TC 14.

I did a series of tests with the camera on a rock solid tripod, using my infrared remote control to elimane any camera shake, so that I could isolate just the effect of the lens+TC versus the lens only with a subsequent crop. (ie: what I was trying to see is what looked better ... more pixels of a lower quality optical image or fewer pixels of a higher quality image).

The results were the same for all my lenses and all my TCs ... in every case using the lens without a TC and cropping (or in effect enlarging) the digital image was sharper than with the TC. In fact, my very old MF Tamron SP 200-500 zoom was sharper at 500 mm than the 300mm AFS with the TC 14 and a slight digital enlargement to reach the same scene as the 500mm captured.

Anyone want to buy a coupe of TCs??

arcweldernorth
D300, D200, 14-24mm f2.8 AFS, 28-70mm AFS, 80-200 f2.8 AFS, 85mm f1.4D, Sigma 150 Macro, 200-400mm AFS/VR, TC 14 & 17, 50mm f1.8 AF

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: "digital" zoom versus "optical" zoom
Reply message RE:
     Reply message RE:
          Reply message RE:
          Reply message RE:
          Reply message RE:
               Reply message RE: