Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D200 with dual flash, techniques, tips?

Seth_Leigh

Queen Creek, US
689 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Seth_Leigh Registered since 04th Jun 2004
Fri 11-Nov-05 12:06 AM

As I was out doing my excercise walk this morning I thought of something that hadn't occurred to me before. I currently own an N80 and an SB800 flash. With the D200, I'll be able to use the SB800 separately and use the built-in flash as a commander.

This is really opening up some ideas with me. I've never done anything with more than one flash, or with a flash not connected to the camera before.

Anyone have any tips they'd like to share? Any techniques, any places to start experimenting?

It'll be quite a nice learning experience to see what can be done using two flashes instead of one. One thought is have the SB800 bounce light off the ceiling while using the onboard flash directly at someone to bring back a touch of the harshness of the direct flash that reveals details, and add a catchlight. Does that actually look good?

I'll have to see if I can rustle up a crappy cheap tripod that I'd never use for the camera itself, and find that little mounting shoe that came with the SB800.

Anyone have any advice?

-----------------------
My skimpy Nikonians image gallery
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

G