Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I surrender! The D200 is too much camera for me.

Clonskeagh

Dublin, IE
188 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Clonskeagh Registered since 14th Oct 2004
Fri 24-Mar-06 10:10 AM

Greetings to You All —

I wonder are any other ex-D70 users in the same sad state as me?

Tonight I'm going to shoot some stuff in a live musical theatre situation, and it is with deep regret and a sense of shame and guilt that I've decide to leave my D200 at home, and just bring my trusty D70.

Shooting live shows in available theatre lighting for a year and a half with the D70, I got results which delighted both me and those for whom the photos were intended. Because the nature of the work sometimes entails a lot of aggressive cropping afterwards, I was so buzzed when the D200 with all its extra pixels made its appearance, and when I got mine I was the happiest man in the world. I instantly found myself in a different league. I felt like a "real" photographer, as opposed to an enthusiastic amateur. The D200 felt fantastic, it looked fantastic, all the controls were instantly accessable and I felt as if I could do anything with it.

But I couldn't. Time after time a huge percentage of the results were blurred to the point where I was convinced that there was something wrong with my camera. Surely shots this much out of focus couldn't all be down to me? ( I'm talking hand-held here). With the D70 I always had a sackload of keepers to choose from, but with the D200 I was lucky to have 40%, sometimes even less. I read all the posts religiously, back-focus problems, accidental switching of c-s-m toggle, focus area, focus priority but still the lousy results. I then read Thom Hogan's piece, and this respected man explained it all — and I had to put my hands up. It WAS me. My technique just isn't up to the job. I had gone too far too fast, and was in the same position as a weekend driver who's been handed the keys of a Maserati. I'm just not up to it, and I hate admitting it. It's a serious blow to my D200-induced self-image of the casually expert photographer, in demand at all the best gigs.

Last week I went to shoot a musician on his farm, and the first sneaking doubts had crept into my mind. So I took the D70 with my 70-200mm f2.8 VR attached and the D200 with my 17-55mm f2.8 attached (as you see, good glass is not the problem). When I got home my suspicions were confirmed — over 90% keepers with the D70, about 40%-50% with the D200.

So what do I do now? It would kill me to get rid of the D200, it's such a beautiful piece of work, but I just can't take the chance of blowing commissions. I suppose I'll just have to put my head down and work until I see improvement. The problem is I'm not young any more, and I suspect that from here on in neither my eyesight or my steadiness of hand is going to get any way better. Thank goodness I held onto my D70.

Thanks for listening.
Yours with a sense of loss —

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I surrender! The D200 is too much camera for me.

G