Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wireless flash with the D200 built-in and SB800

rasworth

Austin, US
1191 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rasworth Basic Member
Thu 23-Mar-06 09:48 PM

One of the potentially very useful features of the D200 is the capability of the built-in flash to serve both as the commander and, unlike the D70, participate as one of the flashes.

So I set up by SB800 off 30 degrees or so to my left, placed a large doll (no human volunteers available)in a chair well spaced out from the wall, and began firing away in manual exposure mode, 1/250 shutter, ISO400 to avoid running out of flash. I tried two configurations:

(1) Built-in running commander only, SB800 in TTL as the only significant light source. Worked ok after I cranked in +1.3 compensation for the SB800.

(2) Built-in and SB800 together in TTL - required +1 compensation on each to arrive at a reasonable combination of exposure (full histogram just short of "blinkies") and shadow fill.

Once I had found acceptable comp values, the lighting held constant over a large aperture range, proving iTTL really was working. I was surprised at how much comp I had to dial in for full exposure, not quite sure what to conclude. I believe my configuration was fairly neutral, avoided the dark object up against the light surface. Anybody else tried this, and what was your experience?

Richard Southworth

G