Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
arcweldernorth

Toronto, CA
136 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
arcweldernorth Registered since 05th Nov 2005
Tue 08-Nov-05 03:56 AM

There have been a number of comments on this and i wonder if someone could educate me on the following ...

I have a Tamron SP 200-500mm f5.6 Adaptall 2 MF lens, which has given me some fabulous pics, first with my F4s and lately with my F5. In fact one of the best pictures I have, and anyone on our African safari has, was taken with this lens with a 2x teleconverter (yes, at 1000mm!). It shows vultures eating a dead waterbuffalo and not only are their eyes sharp but the fine wingtip feathers on an incoming bird with wings outstretched are clearly individually visible. (Taken in bright sunlight wide open at effective f11, Aperture priority, on a monopod from a boat beached on shore, Kodak 800). Most of the other pictures our party took need an explanation that goes like ..."This brown shape is a dead buffalo and those tiny dots are vultures ...". My 8x12 doesn't need an explanation.

Now, I can't afford a nice 600mm Nikkor AFS. Question is, will this old lens work on the D200? In what meter and program modes? Thanks!

arcweldernorth
D300, D200, 14-24mm f2.8 AFS, 28-70mm AFS, 80-200 f2.8 AFS, 85mm f1.4D, Sigma 150 Macro, 200-400mm AFS/VR, TC 14 & 17, 50mm f1.8 AF

G