Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shooting Baseball - Exposure Mode?

4yanx

Bay Area, US
415 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
4yanx Registered since 20th Jan 2006
Thu 09-Mar-06 06:02 PM

I apologize in advance because I also posted this in another forum. But, I figured it would be seen by more folks here who would have germaine comments to offer.

Wondering what exposure mode others are using for sports (baseball in particular). There seems to be an overwhelming consensus that says to use shutter priority for baseball. I have done this using a variety of shutter speeds (1/500 usually) and had very good success. However, sometimes the DOF is just not what I want. So, I've also (with a D200 and 70-200VR) used the aperture mode, set to f/2.8, while letting the camera set the shutter speed (ISO on 200 if it is sunny). Then if the shutter speed begins to drop below 1/500, I go to manual and set it at 1/500 @ f/2.8 and let the camera sort out ISO (Auto ISO on). With this method, though, it sometimes goes to an ISO where the amount of noise is not as acceptable.

What do you baseball shooters do most often?

A, S or M mode?
Depending on mode, which aperture and/or shutter speed?
Also, depending on mode, Auto ISO on or off?

Thanks for your consideration and input.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shooting Baseball - Exposure Mode?
Reply message I almost always use aperature priority, and set my 70-2
Reply message RE: I almost always use aperature priority, and set my
     Reply message Great shots- looks like the technique works....
          Reply message RE: Great shots- looks like the technique works....
               Reply message I tend to underestimate the ages of kids- My 10 year ol

G