Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long Exposures - Do I need a remote?

ZDude

US
537 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007
Sat 04-Mar-06 12:06 AM

Hi all,

New guy here! Real quick background - I have been shooting film for 25+ years and finally decided to get some of that modern new fangled stuff to try out. So... After quite a bit of research I decided to "find" a D200 and a hook it to a 60mm f/2.8 macro (18-200mm on order) to get me started. I already have Photoshop, so my darkroom is setup as well! RAW is good! In the week I've had it, all I can say is S W E E T!! This baby rocks! And no film to develop, chemicals to mix, etc... But I must say, there is alot to learn. I mean I have noticed that there seems to be a few more options than my Canon A1 if you know what I mean!! I am sure once I get dialed in, it will be just fine though.

Well, ok not to quick on the background thing but... my very first question here is, do I NEED a remote like a MC-30 or MC-36 to shoot >30 sec exposures? I'm talking using Bulb setting and not having to keep my finger on the shutter button for as long as needed. I would *think* that this would be possible. I have read the manual sections on Self-Timer Mode and Interval Timer Photography, but unless I'm missing something (and I hope I am) it just isn't possible with the camera alone. Please enlighten me if it is! It's not that I can't get a remote if needed, it's just that I would think this functionality should be to a digital SLR as a calculator is to a pc! Am I insane for thinking so? Wait, don't answer that.

----------------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

G