Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bent my pins... now what?

jameso

Washington, US
71 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jameso Registered since 19th Oct 2007
Tue 22-Apr-14 08:57 PM

I have a d300 that I really like, but sadly I bent two of my cf pins (the pins in the camera that stick into the CF card). A low quality CF card reader messed up a card, which messed up the camera (with a little help from me). I have 2 questions and would appreciate any opinions.

1) I'm wondering if this means it is time to consider upgrading bodies to the D610. Thought FX might be a decent option due to low light and a newer camera (either DX or FX) would be nice for the more accurate metering and focusing. I shoot mostly family stuff (so lots of lower light situations and on the go subjects). Beyond the family mid zoom and portrait shots, I'm more interested in wide than tele stuff, but don't do much of either (not enough free time plus I just sold my wide angle zoom to a friend)). My only DX lens is the 18-200 and I'd like a faster, "more professional" lens, so I'm not letting that hold me back.

2) I have 1 quote for $300 to fix it. If it is $300 to fix and I am going to upgrade, is it worth fixing? KEH buys for under $300 and sells EX body for $425. Mine is in at least EX condition and as I said I like it. Obviously if I can sell it for more than the repair, I'll get it fixed, but if it is only $50 more it is not worth the risk of private sale.

Appreciate any thoughts! Thanks,
James

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Bent my pins... now what?
                    Reply message There's a joke in there somewhere

G