Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself

Philip Fry

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Philip Fry Registered since 09th Jan 2014
Fri 28-Feb-14 12:36 AM

Hey everyone! New to the forum, glad to be among fellow Nikonians

As a manner of introduction, I thought I'd share the story of my recent attempts to purchase a new (used) camera body.

Back in April of '13, my father purchased a D7100 to replace his much loved and well cared for D70. Being in great shape, he offered the D70 to me which I gladly accepted. I purchased a 50mm f 1.8 lens and had many months of happy shooting. Come December, the D70 began having issues writing to the CF card so I sought to replace it with a newer model; having a toddler, my budget wouldn't allow for a shiny new model so I searched for a slightly older model. I originally planned on looking into a D80 or D90, but found a great looking D200 on eBay (first mistake) for a good price and decided to buy it. This model was in nice shape, 12k on the shutter, small crack on the Nikon logo, but otherwise reported to be in perfect working order.
After what seemed to be an eternal week of waiting, the camera arrived and I gleefully opened the packaging and threw a lens on it at which point, the secondary LCD screen started flashing "Err." Seller would not take responsibility, but after putting in a claim with PayPal, I was refunded my purchase. I decided at that point that it would probably be best to purchase my next D200 from a reputable camera shop.
Enter Adorama and D200 body number 2. It took quite a lot of arguing to get them to provide me with a shutter count on any of their cameras which seemed fishy to me at the time. I was finally provided with a count on a specific SKU number and ordered that number. Camera came shortly thereafter and when I took a shutter count, I was shocked to find the count come back as 186755. Thankfully, this return was easier.
Enter B&H and D200 body number 3. B&H provided me with shutter counts fairly quickly and I ordered a body with only 16k clicks on it and ordered it. Body arrived quickly and I was happy to find that the shutter count was what they had told me it was. Worked great with my 18-55mm VR lens with the SWM in it, but to my chagrin, the camera would not focus my 50mm 1.8D lens leading me to believe (rightly) that the auto focus motor in the camera body was faulty. Thankfully, B&H was great with their customer service and sent me a D200 with only 6100 actuations on it. It arrived and is in great shape, it looks brand new, couldn't be happier. Took over a month, but I was finally able to get a D200 worth keeping.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share. Glad to be part of the community and congrats to all of you fine folks who managed to read that whole rambling post!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself
Reply message WRE: Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself