Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MauiKane

KIHEI, HI, US
272 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MauiKane Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2013
Wed 15-Jan-14 09:36 PM | edited Wed 15-Jan-14 09:47 PM by MauiKane

I have a 5-6 yr old D300. It has worked perfectly until recently. Now, when shooting RAW format, if I try to shoot in CH (fast continuous speed), it only clicks off images at about a rate of 2-3 fps versus 6 fps. I have tried this in P, A, S, M shooting modes and the slow rate is same in all those modes when shooting RAW.

I have restored to factory default settings by the two button reset method. This sets camera IQ to JPEG and all works well in CH mode. It fires around 6 fps every time.

Then I started re-customizing settings one at a time to try and isolate which setting is causing the problem. The first setting I changed is Image Quality - back to RAW. The second I switch IQ back to RAW, it slows down again. I have tried a very fast CF card - problem is not the card - it is still slow while in RAW. I have changed IQ to Fine TIFF (large file format) and no problem there - it clicks off shots at a rapid rate. Only RAW mode is being problematic.

I have also cleaned the contacts and tried other lenses - same problems persist in RAW shooting format.

This has been a good camera with no problems until now - I am about to head to Africa in a week and this is to be my second camera as well as back-up if my D800 fails. I can certainly shoot in JPEG format with the D300 if need be but would greatly like to shoot in RAW.

If anyone has any ideas on what is going on when I shoot in RAW, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Tom
Maui, Hawaii

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G