Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

KatzEye focusing screen advice

Gdogger

Moscow, US
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Gdogger Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Sep 2012
Thu 07-Nov-13 04:19 PM

Hello Gang,

I am seriously interested in purchasing a KatzEye replacement focusing screen for my D200. Since this is a non-trivial expense, I have the following questions for the group:

1. Does this noticebly improve manual focusing with relatively fast (f2.8 and faster) MF glass?
2. How easy is it to focus with slower (f/4.5) MF glass?
3. I assume there is no affect on AF capability - is this correct?
4. Should I pay the extra $55 for the OptiBrite treatment? My #1 lens for this body will be my 90-180 f/4.5 flat-field macro zoom.
5. How easy is this to install? I have read the pdf with the instructions. I have a workbench, a florescent ring light with a magnifier, tweezers, etc. I "think" I can do this, but mucking about in the mirror box makes me nervous.

My eventual plans are to use the D200 exclusively for macro, and purchase a newer body for general use. I haven't figured out the whole DX/FX thing, so I don't know if I will get a D300, D700 or a D7100. I'm leaning towards a D700 right now, as I currenlty don't have any lenses that would be considered "really wide" in DX format, and I can't work up the enthusiasm to buy a DX ultra-wide zoom, as NIkon seems to be moving away from DX.

Thanks!

Bill

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live."

Marcus Aurelius

G