Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

In need of professional DX camera

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6130 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Sat 12-Oct-13 09:55 PM

I am looking for a 'professional' level DX camera for shooting air shows and R/C Aircraft. That means long tele's and very fast moving subjects. Probably similar to birding, but this old wedding tog wouldn't know about that.

I need fast accurate focus prediction/tracking capability, a large buffer for shooting raw bursts, wide dynamic range, weather sealing, available battery grip, and an AF-ON button.

I have a D200 that has been my main 'go to' camera for air shows, but its dynamic range and ISO performance, and the 2005 focusing system definitely limit me compared to my D3 and D800. The D800 works okay for airshows, except for its slow burst rate. The D3 doesn't put enough pixels on the target.

I have looked at the D7100, but I need weather sealing, an AF-ON button, and a bigger buffer.

I am considering a used D300s with low click count. I know this camera was released in 2009, but I don't see anything in Nikon's offering that can beat it for what I want.

What's the typical maximum ISO for the D300s for high quality noise-free 8x10's when shooting raw and using good NR software?

Is the D300s focus system usable in low ambient conditions when using f/5.6 maximum aperture?

Is there any better DX camera than the D300s for the type of shooting I want to do?

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: In need of professional DX camera

G